- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
The Facts of Life
Why should I spay or neuter my pet?
Spaying your female pet
- This procedure involves the removal of the ovaries and uterus
- Dogs spayed before their first heat cycle have a 0.05% chance of developing mammary cancer later in life. If spayed after one heat cycle, that increases to 8.0%, and after two or more heat cycles the risk increases to 26%.
- After two years of age there is no increased benefit against this disease.
- Spaying before a heat cycle occurs also completely eliminates the risk of ovarian and uterine cancers.
- The risk of developing uterine infections such as pyometra is eliminated
- Unwanted pregnancies are eliminated and reduces pet overpopulation
Neutering your male pet
- This procedure involves removal of the testicles
- Neutering eliminates the risk of testicular cancer, which is the second most common tumor in intact, male dogs
- The risk of prostate cancer and prostatitis is greatly reduced
- The risk of perianal tumors is greatly reduced
- Roaming and fighting behaviors are reduced or eliminated
- Spraying and marking in males neutered before the age of 6 months, or before the behavior develops, may be significantly reduced or eliminated
- The risk and spread of sexually transmitted diseases is eliminated
- Unwanted litters are eliminated
Common myths and misconceptions about spaying and neutering…
Spaying and neutering does not…
- Cause laziness or hyperactivity
- Reduce your pet’s instinct to protect your family and home
- Cause immature behaviors
- Postpone or delay normal behavior maturity
- Alter your pets personality in any manner
The awful truth
More than 4 million unwanted animals are euthanized in U.S. animal shelters each year. This is a staggering number. Many of these animals are puppies and kittens under the age of 6 months. You can help stop this by spaying and neutering your pets.
If you have any questions about these procedures, the risks and benefits, please do not hesitate to ask our staff. We are happy to assist you in any way we can.